Housing Options: The New Futures Initiative
With the New Futures Initiative, Center for Independent Futures developed a step-by-step process that gives families the ability to open doors to supported living options in their own neighborhoods.
This proprietary method was informed by our firsthand experiences and in collaboration with leaders in the field of community development. The New Futures Initiative takes participants through a series of workshops that are designed to teach our process. Together, they provide the necessary tools, materials, and professional resources to instill the confidence needed to move forward. And the process is proven. Evidence of its success can be seen in our four Community Living Option residences in Evanston, Ill.
At a time when government housing is at capacity and funding is not increasing, the New Futures Initiative is a road map to guide families on their paths toward the housing solutions their loved ones need and deserve—ones that make financial sense and build the personal networks that will help them live more independently for years to come.
Download our FREE GUIDE – Alternative Housing Options for Individuals with Disabilities: A Guide to Forming and Implementing Community Partnerships.
To find out how we can help your family, contact us at (847) 328-2044.
The Path to Community Living Options™
Step 1: Beginning the Journey
- Overview of the New Futures Initiative™ process
- Firsthand look at a successful Community Living Option™
- Building your community
- Creating a shared vision
- Establishing an organizational structure and group processes
- Assessing personal and community assets
Step 2: Taking Action
- Determining housing criteria and ownership model
- Developing a housing team
- Reviewing public and private resources
- Creating a housing budget
- Researching the options
- Drafting a housing plan
Step 3: Moving Ahead
- Identifying support criteria
- Determining support structure
- Identifying and assessing potential residents
- Creating partnerships and developing partnership agreements
- Finalizing a support plan
Step 4: Opening Your Doors
- Preparing families and residents for transition
- Developing personal networks
- Meeting the neighbors and participating in community activities
- Making the residence a home and planning for move-in day
- Handling the day-to-day and preparing for the road ahead
Looking for housing options or personal supports in the Chicago area? Click on Community Living Options below or contact us for more information at 847.328.2044.